- The ultimate goal for parents is to raise mature, Christ loving believers.
- Parenting should move from discipline to discipleship, from external motivation to internal motivation.
How to Help Your Children Become Self-Motivated
- Pray for your children to surrender their hearts to Christ (Eph 3:14-21).
- Teach your children truth from God’s Word (Psalm 19:7-11).
- Teach your children God’s purpose for life and how everything we do fits into it (Deut 6:4-9).
- Encourage and affirm your children (1 Thess 2:11-12).
- Offer new responsibility and freedom in response to obedience and respect (Matt 25:14-30).
- Correction can take the form of discipleship, instead of discipline, when there is respect and teachability (Psalm 25:8-15; 32:8-9).
- Give freedom to make their own choices so they can develop conviction (Heb 5:14).
- Help your children discover their gifts, talents, and interests and free and equip your children to purse them (Eph 4:7, 11-12).