How to Stop the Fighting in Your Home
Session 11 Saturday 1:50-2:50 p.m
Why do we want to stop the fighting in our home?
- Because it is pleasant to have a peaceful home (Prov 17:1).
- Because we want to love and obey God (Eph 4:1-4).
- Because we want to prepare our children for a life of maturity (Eph 6:4).
Three ways to stop the fighting in your home:
1. Set a peaceful example.
- Stop fighting your spouse (Prov 26:21; Prov 21:19).
- Stop fighting your children (Eph 6:4; Prov 15:1).
- If you are fighting, then you are choosing to be selfish and prideful (James 4:1-2; 1 Cor 13:4-7).
- Let the Spirit of Christ live in you! (Gal 2:20; 5:22-23).
2. Set basic rules of engagement.
- No yelling
- No violence.
- No manipulation
3. Teach your children to speak truth to one another (Eph 4:15; Matt 18:15-17).
Teach them the Matt 18 process:
- Speak to the other person privately.
- Ask another person to help verify problem (I don’t require this step).
- Go to those in authority to handle the situation.
4. Teach your children biblical conflict resolution.
- Give space (James 1:19).
- Check yourself (Matt 7:3-5).
- Let go of anger (Eph 4:26-27; Matt 18:21-35).
- Love (Mark 12:30; Gal 5:14).
- Pray (Matt 5:44; James 1:5-8).
- Talk about it (Prov 18:13;15:1).
- Discern the issue (Rom 14:1-12).
- Speak the truth (Matt 18:15; Eph 4:15; Gal 6:1).
- Give space